Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Concert Runner

As I was attempting to find a recent news article about the concert industry to post on my blog this week, I thought about what it really was that brought out my passion to pursue a career in concert production.  From 1992-1998 I was a Runner/Production Assistant in Vermont.  Although being a runner is really the bottom of the ladder in the concert industry, it isn't as easy as you may think and several performers and road crew have told me that there are few good runners.  

Just like the road crew for a concert tour, a runner is the first one to arrive at the venue and the last one to leave after the trucks are loaded and the crew are ready to go.  Many times the runner picks the bus driver up at the hotel when it's time to leave.  It's kind of like that song The Load Out  by Jackson Browne, which by the way brings me to one of the many duties I had as a runner.  One time when I was copying a set list for Jackson Browne to hang in various places on stage, etc. I mentioned liking that song and he asked me to join his tour manager and crew member on stage to sing part of the chorus in Stay.  Some other duties were things like finding a certain shampoo, hairdryer, taking the performers bored teenagers sightseeing, finding the right birthday present for the performer, finding certain kinds of food that they didn't have in that area, buying all the cigarette lighters in the store, picking a performer up at the airport in a snow storm using my own vehicle, and following a tour bus to the hotel to retrieve stage clothes. These are just a few of the things you will be asked to do as a runner/production assistant.

What made being a concert runner fun was that you never knew what you would be asked to do from one show to the next.  And you were able to meet many interesting people, while seeing how a concert is produced from start to finish.  If I could make enough money to survive I would find a job as a runner again.  I believe it prepared me for something bigger.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This sounds really interesting! I know it's been a few year since you posted this. I was searching for information on concert runners when your blog popped up! My name is Michelle Heath and I'm actually a student at Full Sail as well.However, I am going for my BA in Music Business. A while ago we had a guest speaker say that a great way to get into the live entertainment industry is through being a runner. I was hoping I might be able to ask you a few questions about that.

Hulahindu said...

I was just looking up "How to become a concert runner" and this blog popped up. It's a job that I coveted when I was a caterer in a concert venue between 1998-1999. My catering company was dropped and I ended up moving out of the area and never followed my passion. I would love to find out how you were able to become a runner.

Unknown said...

hi what is the essential "I have one here kit" blue tack lighters?

MDParler said...

I have to say that one of the best moments of my runner/production assistant career was when Foreigner was preforming and one of the guitarist's was messing around with his guitar in the backstage room. I was going in with a dispenser of fresh coffee when he stopped me and made-up a quick little "song" about me taking care of them and keeping them supplies with hot coffee. :D I loved those years. I wish I could do it again!

Post a Comment